Monday, January 29, 2007

Across the Universe - Fiona Apple and all



Just watched this cover of the Beatles's Across the Universe by Fiona Apple, so diabolically different from Rufus's resounding, uplifting interpretation (see the earlier post) -Apple sings slow, languid, haunting, and her alternately expressionless and Mona Lisa-smile face is decidedly eerie...highly interesting. I still haven't found the original Beatles version, makes me wonder what it might be like very much. But - give me Rufus any day!

--------

Update: here's more...^6^


Original Beatles version. (Jeremy -- I can't find a way to embed the video you recommended so got this tubie instead ;-P).


A Tsunami themed Grammy performance by Bono from U2, Alicia Keys, Norah Jones, Billie Joe, and a lot more. Musically it's a small disaster, IMO, but it's great to just see such a bunch singing together.


A much better cover performed live by Rufus Wainwright, Moby, and Sean Ono Lennon. Moby probably shouldn't have been involved in this one, his low voice just did not fit. And Sean--I am interested to but can hardly hear him! (though I think it's hard to hear anyone under Rufus's soaring voice...lol)


MV of Rufus's version. All time favourite =D.


Lennon and Harrison probably would have liked to see this highly spiritual (religious?) cover by Laibach...telling from the end credits they must be some Eastern Europe musicians, interesting take. And what's the last funny scene doing there??


This one is old..and sound and image quality is pretty damn bad. I just wish Roger Waters had brought in even MORE Pink Floyd-ness into the version, that would be awesome.

6 comments:

  1. lol fiona tubie is tagged rufus wainwright. I prefer Refus' interpretation, or maybe it's the first impression I got and it sinks in pretty deep.But, across the UNIVERSE. where's the spatial dimension without rufus' droning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one version of Across the Universe by the Beatles. Bad sound quality, but oh well :-). Really, you guys haven't heard the Beatles version? I know what I'm ripping next....

    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=707747230

    I think Fiona Apple's is a bit closer to the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =) it would be funny to collect all the cover versions (i think there gotta be about almost twenty) and compare, just for fun.thanks for that video Jeremy! nice montage~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I came via last.fm's your page.
    Can you speak Chinese too?
    I envy you. I like tai chi chuan. So, wanna to speak Chinese, but even my English is childish, though. :)

    Oh, I also like U2.
    And I love Norah Jones, woo, I mean I like her very much. XD

    Nice to meet you,

    Naba

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Naba, nice to have you here =). yeah i can speak Chinese, being born and raised as one, lol. i'd very much like to know how to speak Japanese too, some day i will..

    and oh, we all love Norah here ('we' being at least two persons, hehe), her new album came out this tuesday, i'm looking forward to hear it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you all and Jade. ;)
    Yeah yeah, I wrote little about Norah's new album on my blog.
    The picture of the back side of jacket is very cute. XD

    Oh, and, I have bookmarked your blog as my favorite on Technorati.
    http://technorati.com/profile/naba
    http://technorati.com/faves/naba?show=blogs

    I will come again here.

    See ya. :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: if you want to request a re-upload of something already expired, please leave your email address (preferably in the spelled-out form of "abc at xyz dot com" to avoid spambots harvesting it), and we'll try to get back to you asap. =)