Friday, August 31, 2007

Musicians are linguists

…and probably have to be, if they are to be widely recognized? It is hardly surprising the whole world is eager to release pop music in English and, for certain romantic styles, French/Spanish too. Market rules. Not that I am complaining at all, though sometimes I do wish to hear a Swedish indie pop band sing in Swedish for once. ;-)

For the day I'm recommending three indie pop bands (I vow to take a break from twee soon) hailing from Japan, Brazil and China, who sings (exclusively?) in a language other than their own.

First up, mondialito. A two-piece Japanese band established in 2002, they are closer in style to their Swedish counterparts than their indie pop compatriots (ref. the more experimental and quirkier Spangle Call Lilli Line). Fueoka Toshiya's gentle guitar picking coupled with the airy vocals of Junko who sings in French with a lovely accent gives their sound an all too dreamy feel. A perfectly melodious and quiet companion to bedtime reading (or whatever you see fit!)

Download mondialito - cher mon amoureux. (Link valid for 14 days.) If YSI asks you to sign up I guess you'll have to, but it's fast really.

Summer time is almost over (though not much difference here in the tropics, *pity self*) a little late for an album named 'Summertime' perhaps? Well, only if you are the kind that fails to be moved by happy beats and jangly guitars--what kind of miserable are you then? ;-) Well I really like this band, its easy and bright-as-Brazilian-sunbeam sound and soft vocal...(the album was released two summers ago actually...I'm forever late.) wonder why they call themselves Pale Sunday?--a reference to Gloomy Sunday, I suppose not? Click on the album cover to read a better review.

Download Pale Sunday - Summertime. (Link valid for 14 days.)

Last but definitely not least, a strong 2002 debut album comprising of 10 English tracks, composed and performed by the very talented Tian Yuan (田原) with band Hopscotch(跳房子) released when she was still in high school. I still feel awed thinking that this girl is of my age, from my hometown (a frustrated megacity in central China) have soared up all like a strong, lone bird and already left such an awesome trail behind (and still much under-appreciated). But that's another story. This trip-hop and punk rock(? or so they claim) influenced album is unabashedly experimental, (sometimes I cringe a little at the monologues) sharp like a freshly cut lemon yet sports a sophistication and stuns even without considering the age and language and debut factors. A great shame I hunted it down only now!

Download Hopscotch - A wishful way. (Link valid for 14 days.)

----------------
Now playing: 彭靖惠 - 呆瓜
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

  1. Just want to shout I'm totally in love with Tian Yuan (& Hopscotch). Mondialito is soothing as well. Their previous albums aren't so delicate though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. xD so glad you like ty too~~

    mondialito not delicate enough? what do ye mean? lol, i thought they are delicate by default.. i quite like 'avant la pluie', especially 'lavande'. haven't got hooked to the other two yet..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks so much for sharing mondialito's album! I'm searching for their other two albums avant la pluie & note of dawn as well, but I'm really grateful on whatever I can get my hands on :)

    I love Hopscotch as well! :D Have never heard of Pale Sunday, however, so I may give that one a try. Again, thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: if you want to request a re-upload of something already expired, please leave your email address (preferably in the spelled-out form of "abc at xyz dot com" to avoid spambots harvesting it), and we'll try to get back to you asap. =)