Monday, March 27, 2006

GARNET CROW: Flying Gone

MSN chat
Me: Jady, am I allowed to...
Me: post a new entry?
J: on?
Me: GARNET CROW
J: NO
Me: Whhhy not?
J: YOU ALREADY HAVE A BLOODY SITE DEDICATED TO GARNET CROW!
...
(anyway in the end I get a 300words max permission ^^ from Jady)

I probably know the general response from the rest of ukulele since I've been ranting about GC like forever. The last time I attempt to promoto GC to ET-sama, 50% of the tracks I sent over received a 'fail!' evaluation. Well, the thing about GC's music is, it's almost 'never' catchy and pleasant to ear on first listening. Plus, the lead vocal, Yuri Nakamura's voice is rather special. Unlike typical (or stereotypical) female Japanese singers who have high-pitched squeaky voices, hers is very alto and neutral sounding. I'm not sure how that will affect listeners' choices but as far as I know, GC has a well balanced ratio of male vs female fans.

I'm just going to recommend one song. (Tears, if only you know how difficult it is to pick the RIGHT song to recommend. The wrong choice can easily lose a potential fan) It's their 6th maxi single - flying, which is chosen as the theme song for playstation game 'tales of eternia'. I was dozing off on my desk last night (with earphones on and music playing), but when I heard the chorus of this song, I was almost instantly awake. The elation and excitement was really incredible no matter how many times I hear it. The opening beats have a strong sense of urgency and everything seems calm for a while, until you hear this sudden take-off, as if holding your breath before a blood boiling bungee jump. This song is about the turning wheel of fate, about destinies, uncertainty and assurance. So be patient and give it a try! If you want to know more about GC, you might as well visit my fansite ^^ (advert time here), which I assure you is 100 times more comprehensive than Wikipedia entry.

I actually tailor picked a couple of GC songs (3 tracks in each genre) . Choose whichever you prefer:
-> soft rock & hip-hop
-> soothing & melancholic
-> happy, high & jazzy
-> my personal favourites

Flying
-> YSI link (I've also included a live concert version of this song)
-> Also Flying's c/w song 'cried a little' (a very sad song)



Composed by Yuri Nakamura
Lyrics by AZUKI Nana
Arranged by Hirohito Furui
English translations from Ryuichi's GC soundscope, modified by me

季節きせつはずれのbeach side
(the out of season beachside)
夜よるに隠かくれた
(your face hidden in the dark)
君きみの横顔よこがおは何なにをみつめてるの?
(what are you looking at?)

人ひとは誰だれもが皆みな
(everybody...)
何なにかを背負せおってる
(is carrying something)
だけど ふとよぎる不安ふあん
(the anxiety that suddenly crosses my mind)
消けせやしないよ
(won't be erased so easily)

僕ぼくらは何一なにひとつ
(we, for the sake of something,)
知しることない未来みらいの為ために
(for an unknown future)
手てに入いれたり投なげ出だしたりして
(cast off what's held in our hands)
儚はかなく誘さそう行方ゆくえめざして
(and it leads you on to a foreign path)

flying gone
夢見ゆめみる様ように 墜おちてゆくの
(falling as if dreaming)
君きみの中なかへ
(into your embrace)
恐おそれないで傷きずついたら
(without fear, if i get hurt)
きっと 切せつない優やさしさを抱だいている
(I'm sure a bitter gentleness will envelop me)

flying fall down
羽はばたきながら 墜おちてゆくの
(flapping my wings, falling)
君きみの傍そばへ
(to your side)
何なにも ナイ 明日あすがくる瞬間ときは
(before the coming of that empty instance in the future)
君きみに出会であえた奇跡きせき胸むねの中なか
(I'll hold to my heart this miracle that I've met you)
ネムラセテ...
(and fall into a deep slumber)

君きみを信しんじる程ほどに ねぇ
(the trust i've placed in you)
傷きずは深ふかくて...
(is as deep as my wounds have been)
私わたし以外いがいのもの すべて
(how i wish that everything, except my own presence)
消けし去さりたいよ
(could be erased without a trace)

気きづいた時ときには もう
(by the time I realized it)
ただ走はしり続つづけることに
(there was no other choice but to go on)
安やすらぎさえ感かんじていたなんて...
(strange that I even felt peace)
イミジキアスヲ 飛とび越こえてゆけ
(together, let's cross this imaginery space)

flying fall down
旅立たびだつならば
(if we are to set out on a journey)
朝あさも昼ひるも夜よるもなくて
(no matter if it's morning, noon or night)
君きみのめぐる輪廻りんねの果はてへ
(to that place where your endless cycle of reincarnation ends)
二度にどと帰かえらぬ(三途の川)かわのほとりまで
(to the River of Styx where there's no return)
飛とび出だすの
(let's fly)

flying gone
もつれてゆくよ
(getting tangled up forever)
君きみの アイ life すべて求もとめ
(I want your love, life and everything)
you and me
もう別べつの生活ひを灯ともす
(starting a new life)
君きみのいない明日あしたなんていらなくても...
(I don't want a tomorrow without your presence)

flying fall down
羽はばたきながら 墜おちてゆくの
(flapping my wings, falling)
君きみの傍そばへ
(to your side)
何なにも ナイ 明日あすがくる瞬間ときは
(before the coming of that empty instance in the future)
君きみに出会であえた奇跡きせき胸むねの中なか
(I'll hold to my heart this miracle that I've met you)
ネムラセテ...
(and fall into a deep slumber)

9 comments:

  1. Actually, I like Yuri's voice. I tend to like it when women don't sound like little girls when they sing. That's the reason I like Love Psychedelico and Swinging Popsicle too. They distinguish themselves in their music. Of course, I also have a wide open mind most of the time.

    Thanks for the songs! I downloaded all of them, but I like the soft rock & hiphop and your favorite selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! I didn't pass on comments about Swinging Popsicle, not that they're so unimpressive I forgot them totally lol. I like the vocal! Nietzsche sounds very familiar for some reason. Their style is interesting, a bit techno + dreamy.

    I personally can't stand squeaky female voices.(like Ayumi, Matsume, and loads of others.) They make my hairs stand on end. Absolute hell...

    GC's style is gradually changing and honestly I don't like the change. Their first album 'First soundscope' is my all time favourite. Still I wish them great great success in the future ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can send more Swinging Popsicle sometime if you want. I listened them to death recently, lol.

    Sometimes bands change and you don't go with them. I remember that happened with Jewel. I didn't really like the direction her music went by the 2nd album, but I was glad she gained success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That'll be great! Advance thanks ^^

    I liked all of Jewel's albums, except the last one - 0304. The change in style was a bit too abrupt. Still she has a great voice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATED 0304..Her previous albums were eccentrically enchanting and fresh, but 0304 was like...arrrhhhhhhhhhh!! From the neon cover to the songs to the sluttish (!!) MV, i was like, 'what's wrong?!'. And she said something about it was the album she felt most satisfied about? ...downright upsetting. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. yo! poor zhu gettin her GC obsession censured.
    hehe but i must say the irritatin squeaky voices of over pubescent girls is nerve grating

    chitose hajime....salyu...Rie Fu...
    now those r classy acts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garnet Crow rocks! yeah I love this album! I LOVE this album!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAAAAH GREAT!!! Anther fan!! Shake hands ~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Note: if you want to request a re-upload of something already expired, please leave your email address (preferably in the spelled-out form of "abc at xyz dot com" to avoid spambots harvesting it), and we'll try to get back to you asap. =)